Nov 10 2017
If you need to transfer WordPress website to a new host while keeping the same domain name, then the process is fairly simple.
Server where the site is currently hosted:
- Access your cPanel and click phpMyAdmin icon.
- A list of all the databases will be displayed on the left hand side in a new window
- Select the WordPress database and you will notice that all the tables are shown in the right hand box
- Click Export (on the top bar) to export the data in SQL format
- Backup all the files associated with your WordPress site
- This can be achieved via FTP or
- You can use the File Manager under cPanel to make a backup
- By now you have a backup of your WordPress database and all the files of your site.
Server where the site is moving to:
- Access the cPanel of your new hosting
- Click MySQL Databases icon to access the Database options and follow the steps below:
- Create a New Database – make note of this name
- Create a New Database User and setup a strong password – make note of this too
- Add User to Database – Select the User and the Database and Click Add
- Select ALL PRIVILEGES and Click Make Changes button
- This will setup your database where we need to import the data now
- Go back to cPanel and click phpMyAdmin icon now
- On the phpMyAdmin page:
- Select the newly created database from the left panel
- on the right hand side top bar select Import
- click browse to select the backed up sql file and click Go
- this should import all the tables and the data to the newly created database.
- Upload all the files from the old server to the new server (most likely it is the root directory)
- Edit wp-config.php file
- this file is located in the root directory of your WordPress site
- you will need to update the following items in this file
- database name
- database user
- Save this file and this should conclude your move.
- If for some reason you are moving this site to a different domain then you will need to make change in the wp_options table
- change the siteurl string to the correct URL in option_value
- change the home string to the correct URL in option_value